Damn that Connie Chung!

SHE'S SERIOUSLY SCREWING AROUND WITH MY HEAD.... SHE'S A FREAKING ENIGMA...

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Here we go again.....

Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy. Kerry Wood left the game today with a sore shoulder. Ay yi yi. PLEASE, lets not have a repeat of the injuries from last year. He pitched 2 innings, and went to warm up for the 3rd, and decided to take it easy. YIKES. I pray to all the baseball gods that are up there to help keep our rotation healthy this year. Its been a pretty boring few days, and I dont have much to talk about, so Ive decided that Im going to tell you all about my hero. Not many people know this, so Im going to fill you all in:
Russ Hodges. I dont expect anyone except for the die hard baseball fans to know who that is. He's a radio announcer who at one time broadcast cubs games, but spent 22 years broadcasting for the giants (In new york and san fransico). BUT anyway, he made the most amazing call EVER in baseball history. In 1951 the giants played the dodgers in best of 3 game series for the pennant. It was game 3, bottom of the 9th and the giants were down 4-2. Runners were on 2nd and 3rd and there was one out. Up to the plate comes Bobby Thomson. Stike one on the corner of the plate. Next pitch Bobby nails a homerun. Russ comes on screaming over and over "The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!" It feels like he's never going to stop. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. The awesome thing about that call was that back in those days they didnt tape their broadcasts. So it very well could have been lost forever. BUT, a few months after baseball season had ended, Russ gets a copy of his call sent to him in the mail. Guess who sent it? A dodger fan. He taped it in hopes he would get to hear Russ cry. HA!!! Thank god for that man. If it hadnt been for him, I never would have gotten to hear Russ say those words. Russ died 10 years before I was born, but he is the reason (along with my love and knowledge of Cubs baseball) Im going into the profession I am. In case you dont know what Im going to school for, its sports broadcasting. I plan on being either on WGN 720 (which will pretty much be impossible because I think pat and ron are immortal and never going to die) or maybe ill do pre and post on FSN (or comcast now I guess). I swear to each and everyone of you, I will be watching cubs games for a living and somehow get my voice on the airwaves giving you the play by play. I LOVE BASEBALL!!!!! It is the reason that I live. It was what I was born for. I am the cubs #1 fan (at least female) here in Springfield and I dare anyone to challenge me! HA!!!! Go cubbies!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home